Creamy chicken and mushroom soup
Prep 10 minutes Cook 30 minutes
A traditional soup combination that’s lower in fat for the whole family can enjoy.
2 tsp oil
2 onions, chopped
2 skinless chicken breasts (approx. 200g), chopped small
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 chicken stock cube, dissolved in 500ml water
1 heaped tsp cornflour
good pinch white pepper
300ml skimmed milk
100g 0% fat Greek yogurt
2 tsp chopped chives
Grind of black pepper
1. Add the oil to a pan and gently cook the onions for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
2. Add the chicken and stir for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the stock, mix well, bring to the boil, turn down the heat, cover with the lid and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
5. In a jug, mix he cornflour and white pepper together and stir in the milk.
6. Gradually stir the milk and cornflour mixture into the chicken and mushrooms, stirring constantly, then bring to almost boiling point.
7. Stir in the yogurt, remove from the heat and blend the mixture until smooth. Serve with a sprinkle of chives and black pepper.
• You could use a stick blender or a blender.
• Try adding herbs such as fresh tarragon, parsley or basil. Spice it up with 1 tsp ground cumin.
• Freezing instructions: Can be frozen in small pots for individual portions. Defrost in a microwave or over a very low heat until piping hot.
Download and Print this Recipe here:
This recipe is courtesy of diabetes UK.
For more recipes visit diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/recipes/