Known as zucchini bread in the US, this is a popular favourite and the perfect afternoon tea bread. It contains a large amount of grated courgettes and tastes sweet and spicy, with a texture like banana bread.
Prep 15 minutes
Cook 30-35 minutes
2 eggs, beaten
75ml rapeseed oil + 2 tsp to oil a 2lb loaf tin
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp granulated sweetener
300g courgettes, grated
200g wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 180°/gas 4.
2. Oil the loaf tin and set aside.
3. To a bowl add the eggs, oil, vanilla extract and sweetener, then beat together well.
4. Mix in the courgettes then stir in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
5. Place in the baking tin and bake for 30-35 minutes until firm to the touch.
• To test if the cake is cooked insert a small, sharp knife into the middle, if it comes out clean the cake is cooked. If there is uncooked mixture sticking to the knife it needs a little longer.
• Try using yellow courgettes for a different coloured cake.
• For a spicier version, add 2 teaspoons of mixed spice along with the cinnamon.
• Freezing instructions: Slice then wrap in foil to freeze (you can then use slices as required).
Download and Print this Recipe here:
This recipe is courtesy of diabetes UK.
For more recipes visit diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/recipes/