top of page
Blackberry and apple cake
Blackberries and apples in a light wholemeal cake mix.
Prep 15 minutes
Cook 35-40 minutes
2 medium eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
75g caster sugar
100ml rapeseed oil (use 1 tsp for greasing)
150g wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Use 1 tsp of the rapeseed oil to grease a 2lb loaf tin (approx 27cm x 12cm).
2. Grate the unpeeled apples into a bowl and discard the cores.
3. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, caster sugar, oil to the bowl and beat together.
4. Add the flour and baking powder and mix well. Fold in the blackberries.
5. Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 25 minutes until firm and golden. Cover with foil after 20 minutes if it's starting to brown too much. The cake is cooked when a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
• You could add other essences, such as lemon or almond, or add the grated zest of an orange or lemon.
• Any berries will work in this recipe, such as raspberries in place of blackberries. You can also use frozen ones that have thawed.
• Freeze in freezer bags, wrapped in foil or greaseproof paper, for up to three months. Don't forget to label.
• Freezing instructions: Suitable for freezing once cooked. Slice then wrap in foil to freeze. You can then use slices as required.
Download and Print this Recipe here:
This recipe is courtesy of diabetes UK.
For more recipes visit diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/recipes/
bottom of page