top of page
FRUITY FRENCH TOAST
Wholemeal eggy-bread with seasonal fruit compote.
Prep 10 minutes Cook 10 minutes
1 tbsp water
100g frozen mixed berries
1 apple, peeled and grated
2 free-range eggs
1 tbsp skimmed milk
2 thick slices wholemeal bread, cut in half diagonally
1 tsp sunflower oil
1. Place the water and frozen fruit into a pan and cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until they are warmed through. Stir in the apple and remove from heat.
2. Meanwhile, beat the eggs and milk together, then soak the bread slices in the egg mixture for 2-3 minutes. Turn the bread a couple of times to make sure all the liquid has been absorbed.
3. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan, add the slices of bread, and cook gently. Turn the bread a couple of times until golden brown on both sides. This should take about 8 minutes in total.
4. Serve topped with the fruit.
You can use any fruits you like for the topping - pears and blackberries are especially tasty.
• Sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg for extra flavour.
• You can also make a savoury version with grilled mushrooms or tomatoes in place of the fruit.
Download and Print this Recipe here:
bottom of page