Bangers 'n' mash
A British favourite, our bangers and mash makes perfect comfort food.
Prep 15 minutes
Cook 30 minutes
200g potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
400g sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
1 tsp olive oil
3 onions (300g), chopped
8 quality reduced-fat sausages (45g each)
160g button mushrooms
350g frozen peas
1 low-salt vegetable stock cube
1 heaped tbsp plain flour
1. Add the potatoes to a pan of boiling water, then add the sweet potatoes after 2–3 minutes. Boil for another 10-15 minutes or until they are tender and you can break them easily with a fork.
2. Add the oil to another pan, then throw in the onions and cook over a low heat for 15 minutes, stirring regularly so they caramelise.
3. At the same time, grill the sausages on a rack under a moderate heat for 12–14 minutes, turning regularly to cook evenly. After 8 minutes, place the mushrooms under the grill and cook for 4 minutes, turning to cook each side.
4. Meanwhile, cook the carrots and broccoli in boiling water for 10 minutes. Add the peas and bring back to the boil. When cooked, drain the cooking water into a jug and add a stock cube to it, topping up to 500ml with boiling water if there isn't enough liquid.
5. Mash the potatoes and set aside.
6. To make the gravy, add the flour to the onions and mix until coated. Gradually pour in the stock, stirring constantly, then bring back to a gentle boil until the gravy thickens. Divide everything between four plates and serve.
• This recipe could be adapted slightly to create a sausage casserole with a topping of mashed potato, if preferred. Just add stock and season well with mixed herbs to marinate the sausages in whilst cooking.
• Swap the veg for any you prefer, and experiment with different flavoured sausages.
Download and Print this Recipe here:
This recipe is courtesy of diabetes UK.
For more recipes visit diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/recipes/